What's in This Guide?
- 1 Read Also
- 2 What Does Restless Leg Syndrome Mean?
- 3 Would a New Mattress Help You Sleep Better?
- 4 A New Mattress Must Have these features
- 5 A Comparison of Mattress Types
- 6 Mattresses that Are Good for Restless Legs Syndrome
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Mattresses for Restless Leg Syndrome
- 7.1 Where Can I Get Relief from Nighttime Restless Legs?
- 7.2 Is there a Better Position to Sleep for Restless Leg Syndrome?
- 7.3 Does a Restless Leg Syndrome Sufferer Require a Particular Mattress?
- 7.4 Does a Soft or Firm Mattress Provide Better Support for Restless Legs?
- 7.5 How Do You Treat Restless Legs Syndrome?
Last Updated on January 26, 2023 by Sandra Allens
Top Pick: Saatva Classic
If you are seeking Best Mattresses for Restless Leg Syndrome, but you do not have the time to do your own research and to compare prices, just take this one.
Saatva Classic is our top recommendation after extensive research.
Approximately seven to ten percent of Americans have restless legs problems. It will not endanger your life, but it will make it difficult for you to sleep peacefully. There is an uncontrollable urge to move the legs caused by RLS, also called Willis-Ekbom Disease.
Having the best Mattresses for restless leg syndrome may help relieve its symptoms. The symptoms of RLS cannot be cured, but you can find comfort and support in a supportive environment while sleeping. The top mattresses for restless legs syndrome are outlined below to help you. RLS patients can also get advice on how firm and what type of mattress to choose.
- Encased coils and memory foam
- Support and comfort
- Various levels of firmness
- Optimizes spinal alignment
- Cooling cover stitched from quilts
- Extensive trial period
Restless leg syndrome is most commonly seen in middle aged women twice as often as in men, but it can affect anyone, regardless of their age. It is possible that the supplement can cause depression even though it does not cause harm. It can cause daytime sleepiness and depression if you take it at night, even though it does not have any adverse effects.
Restless Leg Syndrome can’t be Cured, Unfortunately.
Treatment and management options are available. You may be able to find relief for your symptoms when you speak to your doctor. If you want your back to be more comfortable, consider getting a more supportive mattress. Throughout this article, you will discover how to improve your symptoms of restless leg syndrome and how to deal with this issue in the future. Our top picks for new mattresses are featured, along with what to look for.
What Does Restless Leg Syndrome Mean?
Symptoms of this neurological disorder are leg pain and an overwhelming urge to move the legs, even though the disorder has also been identified as Willis-Ekbom disease. The urge to urinate can be more intense for people who suffer from RLS when relaxed or having difficulty sleeping.
Restless Leg Symptoms Can Include Any One of The Following:
- Foot or leg pain that is unusual or unpleasant
- A throbbing sensation in the limb, a crawling feeling, or pulling sensations
- Rest causes sensations, particularly long periods of it
- Walking or stretching can relieve pain
- Evening symptoms worsen, nighttime twitching of the legs
Frequently, restless leg syndrome symptoms manifest themselves in the evenings, interfering with sleep and leaving you feeling fatigued and sleepy during the day. These things may prevent you from working or going to school; they may also increase your chances of being involved in a car crash. You also risk depression if you suffer from sleep deprivation and RLS.
It can be difficult to explain RLS symptoms and even more difficult to live with them. Getting restless legs every night may become a daily occurrence if you experience them every night. Researchers suspect RLS may have a genetic component, but the cause remains unknown. As a way to deal with a sleeping disorder, one might want to consider a lifestyle adjustment and/or medication, but a simple mattress change can also prove beneficial. For more information, read on.
Would a New Mattress Help You Sleep Better?
Restless leg syndrome patients generally find that nighttime symptoms make it hard to sleep. If you move constantly during the night, this could create a challenge for your sleeping partner.
A new mattress won’t be able to cure your sleep apnea problem immediately because there is no tried-and-true cure. You may, however, notice a worsening of your condition if you sleep on the wrong mattress. Getting up in the morning may feel worse if you wake up on a poorly supportive mattress.
You and your partner can both benefit from the use of pressure-relieving mattresses. Sleep styles that compress your legs’ nerves may cause worsening symptoms. Your body will be supported while pressure points are relieved with the right mattress.
A New Mattress Must Have these features
You may be wondering why you have to buy a new mattress after learning that there isn’t a miracle RLS-curing mattress out there. It is beneficial to upgrade your mattress regardless of whether it completely relieves your symptoms.
Based on the quality and materials of the mattress, the Better Sleep Council recommends replacing most mattresses after 7 years. Having trouble sleeping and waking up stiff on a regular basis (which usually means you need a new mattress) is a sign it may be time for a new mattress. Your mattress may no longer be comfortable or firm enough if it is showing signs of aging or if your preferences have changed.
A Mattress for RLS Should Have the following Characteristics:
- Quality Materials. The cons of choosing cheaper materials outweigh any benefits from choosing quality materials. You should always buy CertiPUR-US® certified memory foam when purchasing it.
- Design with multiple layers. Different layers of mattresses serve different purposes. To relieve pressure and transition between layers, you need supportive top layers.
- Spine Alignment. Choose a product based on your sleeping style so you don’t unconsciously twist your spine while you sleep.
- Motion Transfer. When you suffer from restless leg syndrome, your partner’s motion has an increasing importance.
- Temperature Regulation. The key to sleeping comfortably at night is to stay cool. Choose materials that don’t trap your body heat at night.
- Firmness and comfort. You will have to find the perfect pillow top for you, depending on your personal preferences.
You should think about what you want and know what’s available when shopping for a mattress. The following is a brief description of the most commonly available types of mattresses.
A Comparison of Mattress Types
Although mattresses may look similar on the surface, they are not all the same. Generally, mattresses are designed to provide a combination of support and comfort by utilizing layers of material. Each layer serves a different purpose. There are various materials on the market, each focusing on a different benefit.
Mattresses Come in these Common Types:
- Innerspring. These mattresses were designed in the 1990s to be made of steel coils, which compress when you sit or lay on them. In general, they are made up of continuous coils of interlocked wire.
- Pocketed Coils. With the use of individually encased coils and independent motion capabilities, this mattress differs from typical innerspring models.
- Memory Foam. In the 1960s, NASA developed memory foam for body support and comfort.
- Gel Foam. Gel foam provides a cooler sleeping experience by alleviating memory foam’s heat retaining properties.
- Latex. The properties of latex are similar to those of memory foam, but it is not quite as resilient – it has a bit more bounce.
- Hybrid. The newest type of mattress available on the market is a hybrid one that is composed of layers of latex or memory foam atop coiled springs.
Choose a mattress based on your personal preference in the end. If you don’t know whether you prefer the feel of an innerspring mattress versus memory foam, you should go to your neighborhood mattress store to try out a few different options. You can find better prices and a larger variety online, along with free shipping if you shop online.
Mattresses that Are Good for Restless Legs Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome cannot be cured by a miracle mattress. Having said that, a mattress that relieves pressure points and provides support comes with a number of benefits. Why make a bad situation worse with an uncomfortable, unsupportive mattress if you already suffer from RLS symptoms at night?
Most people with restless leg syndrome find that memory foam mattresses provide a restful night’s sleep after sleeping on them because they minimize partner disruptions in the evening. We also included some similar choices in our reviews of the best memory foam mattresses.
We Recommend the following Mattresses for Sleepers with Restless Legs Syndrome
Overall Best. It really comes down to choosing a company that offers options since there’s no perfect mattress for restless leg syndrome. You should choose a mattress depending on how you sleep and how comfy and firm you like it. Three levels of firmness are available for the Saatva Classic.
A gorgeous luxury mattress featuring a tufted euro pillow top and encased spring system, along with the comfort of memory foam, offers optimal comfort. You may select from two types of mattresses: Plush Soft or Luxury Firm. The warranty on each of the three models is 15 years, and they include free white glove delivery and 120-night sleep trials.
The Saatva mattress does not provide exclusive relief of restless leg syndrome, but offers excellent back and joint support, so it can help relieve back and joint pain. Your partner will experience superior motion isolation while you enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Advantages. Provides optimal spinal alignment and has a hybrid coil-and-foam design.
- Disadvantages. This model is very heavy in comparison to some others, and is rather costly.
It is the Most Economical. You may not want to spend a small fortune on a new mattress right away, since it’s hard to tell if a new mattress will treat your restless leg syndrome or not. Budget-friendly Nectar mattresses provide great support for a low price.
Tencel fiber covers the 11 inch deep Nectar mattress, which was originally created from memory foam. An insulating layer of gel memory foam sits on top of the quilted memory foam cover. Transitional hi-core memory foam follows a layer of adaptive memory foam. High density support foam is then added.
In terms of comfort and support, the Nectar scores well on a scale of ten. 365 nights of free shipping and returns are included with each mattress.
- Advantages. An extended trial period, a multilayer foam construction, and a cooling quilt cover make up the benefits of this mattress.
- Disadvantages. Having heavy sleepers may impair foam’s response time
Our Best Luxury. Helix Birch is a premium mattress that delivers the best of the best. Mattresses made from organic materials are known for their high quality and comfort. A hybrid design that combines wool, body contouring springs, and pressure-relieving latex, this mattress will be a hit with you.
You will experience the most comfortable sleep with the Birch mattress because pressure points are reduced for ergonomics. You and your family will be able to rest easy knowing that this mattress contains no toxic chemicals. You can test this product for 100 nights, it’s free to ship, and it has a 25 year warranty. 0% financing will decrease your expenses and make it more attractive to you.
- Advantages. A hybrid design featuring organic materials, comfort, pressure relief and a hybrid ergonomic design.
- Disadvantages. Quite costly compared to other models
The Best Latex. People who suffer from restless leg syndrome may find this aspect of memory foam mattresses less comfortable, particularly if they suffer from the disorder. Similar to latex, leather is remarkably flexible, provides pressure relief, and hugs the curves of the body. We chose the Zenhaven latex mattress as our top pick.
With the Zenhaven mattress, you’ll enjoy pressure-free support that conforms to the shape of your body. The outer cover of this item is flame-retardant, made of 100% organic New Zealand wool. It offers excellent durability, naturally resisting mold and microbes. Depending on your preference, this mattress comes with either a luxury plush or a gentle firm mattress. It measures 10 inches in height and comes in two thicknesses.
- Advantages. It features two degrees of firmness, a pressure relief system, and is made from natural latex.
- Disadvantages. Those who sleep on their sides might not like the bounce of this mattress
The Best Hybrid. Hybrid mattresses, which combine an innerspring base with memory foam, are a good option if you don’t want to choose between comfort and support. Because DreamCloud gives consumers the best of both worlds, it is probably their best hybrid mattress.
In addition to its quilted memory foam top and cashmere blend cover, the DreamCloud mattress also includes a cooling gel mat and a cooling cover. A layer of premium memory foam is layered inside the individually wrapped coils. The quilted memory foam top provides pressure relief. The unique design offers optimal spinal alignment while maintaining pressure relief. Each coil is individually encased, ensuring that your partner won’t be disturbed even when you move.
- Advantages. Hybrid mattresses offer comfort and support, with these features including foam, encased coils, and luxury materials and designs.
- Disadvantages. The weight of a hybrid mattress is generally quite high
Gel Foam Aslan 10″
Among the Best Gel Foams. Memory foam cushioning can relieve pressure points and help relieve pressure. However, memory foam can also trap heat. As opposed to foam, gel foam is cooler at night, but offers similar benefits. Among the best gel foam mattresses, we recommend Aslan.
This mattress is made of three different types of foam. In addition to the cooling technology, two other layers are present: phase change material and beaded gel foam. There is also Active Support Foam for providing spinal alignment.
Safety and quality are guaranteed with foams manufactured in the United States and certified by CertiPUR-US®. You can also try Aslan mattresses for free for 365 nights.
- Advantages. Free fast shipping, free cooling, generous trial period, pressure relief, support, support and pressure relief
- Disadvantages. A 50-night break-in period is required for the sleep trial, which offers only one firmness/thickness option
Environmentally Friendly. There are plenty of mattress options offered by Amerisleep, which is one of the best. Its mattresses are not only made in the United States with eco-friendly materials and CertiPUR-US® certification, but also come in 5 different sizes from 10-14 inches.
AMERSLEEP’s AS5 mattress has four layers of foam and is designed especially for those with sensitive skin. Having two layers of foam and measuring 10 inches, the AS1 mattress is most suitable for stomach and back sleepers. Mattresses ranging from medium to soft in firmness have three layers of foam. During the 100-night sleep trial, all mattresses come with free shipping and returns.
- Advantages. The Ecobed comes in 5 different models, features a choice of sleeping styles, and is made in the United States.
- Disadvantages. There is little bounce in the edge support.
Ideal for Hot Sleepers. Some people find that memory foam mattresses can trap body heat, even though they provide pressure point relief. When it comes to selling memory foam mattresses, Bear is a company worth considering if you want to sleep cool and comfortable. Three different bear mattresses are available, including one with copper-infused foam and advanced cooling.
This mattress weighs 165 pounds and has a firmness rating of 6.5/10, making it medium firm. The copper-infused foam certified by CertiPUR-US® not only contours and cradles, but also provides cooling comfort. It is compatible with most types of solid foundations, and carries the Celliant Infrared-Yarn cover. The trial period includes 100 nights of free shipping and returns.
- Advantages. Cooling copper-infused foam provides a comfortable sleeping experience, regardless of the foundation.
- Disadvantages. Some people may find that it is too firm, while very heavy sleepers may find it insufficiently supportive
Ideal for Side Sleepers. Due to the amount of pressure placed on these areas by side sleepers, hip pain is common. In order to make sure your spine is aligned properly, you need a mattress that conforms to your body while providing optimal spine support. The Layla mattress is our top choice, because the mattress offers you two sides: a firm side and a soft side that you can switch between as you please.
Layla mattresses are infused with copper foam, which keeps them cooler than typical memory foam. A 4-inch layer of core foam is on the bottom. The copper-gel foam is then layered on top of that. Using thermo-gel cooling technology, the cooling cover provides cool comfort.
- Advantages. Dual storage, soft memory foam and an adjustable headrest Pros: Flip-up storage, cooling, soft memory foam
- Disadvantages. A slow-response foam makes changing positions more difficult
The Best Choice for Back Sleepers. The mattress you choose can ensure your spine is properly aligned if you sleep on your back. Leesa Original has a cooling layer on top in addition to its premium memory foam layers.
While Leesa Original memory foam mattresses offer pressure relief and comfort at the same time, they have superior back support. Memory foam provides cooling comfort, while the cover is soft and breathable. The mattresses come with a 100-night risk-free trial as well as free shipping and a 10-year warranty.
- Adavantages. Suitable for people who like a combination of support, hug, and breathable memory foamat a reasonable price
- Disadvantages. Some may find it too warm to sleep with due to the shorter warranty (10 years)
Loom and Leaf
Ideal for Stomach Sleepers. People who sleep on their stomach receive insufficient support from their mattresses, which causes back and neck pain. With just enough cushioning to relieve pressure points and support to prevent you from sinking, your midsection remains supported without sinking. A great option for comfort and support is the Loom & Leaf mattress.
You can choose between two firmness levels in the Loom & Leaf mattress. For people who are heavy sleepers or who prefer firmer mattresses, this is important. With its cool spine gel layer underneath, this mattress offers maximum temperature regulation thanks to a quilted organic cotton cover. After the base foam, we add an eco-friendly layer of premium foam. Comfort and support are provided by this combination of premium materials for a restful night’s sleep.
- Advantages. Moderately expensive compared to many models, may be too firm for some users
- Disadvantages. It is not as expensive as many models, but some users may not like its firm feel
Your health and ability to function during the day are both dependent on good sleep. It is harder said than done to deal with restless leg syndrome. Restless leg syndrome cannot be cured, even though it’s a chronic condition. To find a treatment that works best for you, you may have to experiment with a few different options. Sleep deprivation caused by RLS may result in serious complications further down the road, so trying to improve your sleep is important in the meantime.
Whether or not you experience RLS symptoms, switching to a comfortable, supportive mattress will be beneficial. We hope you’ve found this information helpful and will take the time to compare the different mattress options here.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Mattresses for Restless Leg Syndrome
Where Can I Get Relief from Nighttime Restless Legs?
In older people and at night, restless leg syndrome can worsen. Though you may not be able to stop your restless leg symptoms completely, you can take steps to relieve your symptoms. Massage your legs before bed and take a warm bath. If you’re feeling achy, apply a hot or cold pack and engage in exercise daily. You can also improve your sleep by setting a regular bedtime routine and establishing good sleep hygiene.
Is there a Better Position to Sleep for Restless Leg Syndrome?
Sleep position does not affect the occurrence of restless leg syndrome. It doesn’t hurt to try out a few different positions, since one might be more comfortable than another. Putting a pillow between your knees while sleeping on your side will prevent nerve compression in your legs.
Does a Restless Leg Syndrome Sufferer Require a Particular Mattress?
New mattresses can improve your comfort as well as your partner’s comfort if you suffer from restless leg syndrome. This type of mattress is popular since memory foam addresses the problem of leg pain by reducing nerve compression. You can also sleep peacefully at night with these mattresses since they reduce motion transfer.
Does a Soft or Firm Mattress Provide Better Support for Restless Legs?
If you are experiencing restless legs, a comfortable mattress will be the best choice. While mattress firmness may not directly affect how you sleep, it does influence how comfortable you are on it. A slightly firmer mattress might be more comfortable for people who sleep on their backs or stomachs. Those who sleep on their sides should consider a thinner mattress, or at least a mattress with a plush top.
How Do You Treat Restless Legs Syndrome?
Restless leg syndrome can be treated differently depending on the individual patient. Iron infusions or oral supplements may be beneficial if your doctor suspects iron deficiency is causing your condition. The dopamine and calcium channels in the brain are sometimes affected by certain medications. The sensations associated with leg cramps will not go away with sleeping pills or muscle relaxants at night, and they could make you sleepy during the day as well. Ultimately, you should choose the treatment that suits you best.