What's in This Guide?
- 1 How Do Bed Sores Develop?
- 2 Pressure Ulcer Treatments and Prevention Tips
- 3 Choosing a Mattress that Will Prevent Bedsores
- 4 Bed Sore Prevention with Mattresses
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions about Best Mattresses to Prevent Bed Sores
Last Updated on September 4, 2021 by Ali
With the wake of tech in the mattress manufacturing field, there has been a development of the best mattresses to prevent bed sores. Bedsores are a problem that is usually associated with elderly patients who stay in nursing homes due to the conditions they suffer from. In most cases, bedsores are caused by prolonged bed rest giving rise to pressure sores and ulcers. As a patient who has to remain bedridden for a long period of time, it is definitely the best position to be in.
- Encased coils and memory foam
- Support and comfort
- Isolation from motion is excellent
- Two-sided flippable design
- Material that adapts to the climate
- Relieves pressure well
People hate to think about being unable to work because of a serious illness. Long periods of lying in bed may seem healthy, however there are risks associated with it. The skin covering bony parts of the body usually becomes inflamed by pressure ulcers or bedsores. This usually occurs in bedridden patients or in those who are not able to move freely in a chair or bed.
The writer of this article presents a well-written article on bed sores and the causes and prevention of such sores. This article will explain why it is so important for you to be fitted with a mattress that relieves pressure on your body as well as prevent bed sores.
How Do Bed Sores Develop?
Frail or elderly individuals lying or sitting in the same position for long periods of time are more likely to develop pressure ulcers or bedsores. A cast may even cause it, if that is what you wear.
Long-term pressure on the skin can injure its surface and its underlying tissues. Tumors of this type commonly occur around boney areas of the body such as the hips, heel, ankles, and tail. An insufficient amount of blood flow leads to bedsores where the skin dies. It may become infected if you fail to treat the skin.
Bedsores Can Be Classified Into Four Stages:
- Stage 1. Redness and warmth develop in the area. Darker skin tones may have a blued or purpled appearance. A burning sensation, itching, or pain are common complaints.
- Stage 2. A blister or open sore may develop as the damage increases. Usually, pain around a cut worsens and the surrounding skin discolors.
- Stage 3. Due to the damage under the surface of the skin, the area appears cratered.
- Stage 4. An extensive wound forms on the skin. It is possible that muscles, tendons, bones, and joints may be affected, and infection is a real possibility.
Usually, bed sores heal on their own within a few days. The wound may never fully heal in some cases, and they are more likely to reopen. If you cannot move around, you should protect yourself from bedsores. Bedsores can be effectively treated by changing positions every 24 hours to 48 hours. Should they not improve, you should consult your doctor.
Pressure Ulcer Treatments and Prevention Tips
Pressure, friction, and shear are three main causes of pressure ulcers. Constant pressure impedes the skin’s ability to absorb nutrition in some areas of the body, which leads to inflammation. When two surfaces are moved in opposite directions by friction or shearing, fragile skin is more likely to be injured.
Bedsores can be Prevented and Relieved by Following These Tips:
- Alternate your positions frequently when sleeping or sitting down; if you are unable to move, ask someone to assist you.
- It is essential to clean and dry the skin daily in order to maintain its health – don’t rub the skin and use a gentle cleanser.
- Whenever possible, change your clothes and bedding. Moisture barrier creams keep skin clean and prevent moisture from entering.
- Do not apply pressure to any areas that show signs of pressure sores for 24 to 48 hours after you see them.
- In extreme cases, you may need skin grafting if pressure ulcers become open wounds. In the case of severe pressure ulcers, you should visit your doctor for debridement.
- You may need to change your mattress or get a special mattress topper to relieve pressure on the body when using a wheelchair or in bed.
Bed sores can be infected if left untreated, affecting both the soft tissue and the muscles underneath. When pressure sores become infected, they can lead to osteomyelitis and septic arthritis. The possibility of bedsores is rather unpleasant, but taking precautions will drastically reduce the risk of complications. Squamous cell carcinoma develops if a wound like Marjolin’s ulcers continues to not heal. Upgrading your mattress could help you or someone you care about avoid bedsores.
Choosing a Mattress that Will Prevent Bedsores
The lifespan of mattresses varies considerably depending on the material and quality, but should generally last 7 to 10 years. Older mattresses tend to be less supportive. Pressure relief is essential in preventing bed sores, so support is always necessary.
A new mattress can benefit you by combining both stress relief and support. A new mattress can be built using the latest materials. You can reduce your risk of getting bed sores by upgrading your mattress, but it isn’t guaranteed. Furthermore, a greater level of support and pressure relief has many other advantages.
Choosing a Mattress Requires a Few Considerations:
- A good choice is memory foam, which conforms to the shape of the body to relieve pressure.
- The memory foam may be difficult to change positions because it doesn’t bounce as much as some materials. Assess the patient’s level of mobility and whether he or she needs assistance moving. In comparison to other materials that provide pressure relief, Latex has little bounce.
- To relieve pressure on particular parts of the body, you may want to consider an adjustable bed or a customized mattress.
- Temperature regulation is very important. Some materials tend to sleep hot, which can result in sweating, increasing your risk of pressure ulcers. Cooling materials should be considered.
- The mattress’ firmness should be considered. Almost all experts recommend medium-firm mattresses, but if you prefer something softer, you can select that as well. The right mattress will make sure that you won’t suffer from pressure sores.
When you know what a good mattress is and why it is important to upgrade, you can determine the benefits of upgrading. We thought these mattresses would be great to help people who have pressure ulcers.
Bed Sore Prevention with Mattresses
You should talk to your doctor about bedsores if you or someone you love suffers from them. The course of treatment for ulcers will depend on its grade. Your physician can determine the grade of the ulcer. Changing your mattress won’t prevent pressure ulcers from developing or worsening, but it may make them less likely. Our list of top mattresses for pressure relief explains how to choose.
Best Mattresses that Relieve Pressure on Bedsores Include the following
Overall Best. Pressure on the skin should not be prolonged so as to prevent bedsores. An air mattress in a home isn’t always adjustable to fit the client’s preferences for pressure. It is similar to the Saatva Solaire in that it offers customizable firmness. You can adjust the firmness of this mattress with the touch of a button. It contains six luxurious layers of comfort.
Saatva Solaire is a technologically advanced air mattress that delivers personalized comfort. Mattress with five-zone Talalay latex for maximum pressure relief and back support. Infused memory foam is combined with vulcanized air chambers. You can adjust the firmness level of the mattress in order to relieve pressure or direct it as needed. For quiet and inconspicuous operation of the mattress around its perimeter, an air inflator is concealed within the Power Edge Enclosure.
- Advantages. It incorporates gel foam and latex and can be adjusted to 50 firmness levels.
- Disadvantages. The air may leak overnight, as it is a substantially more expensive model
The Most Budget-Friendly. If you don’t wish to spend a fortune on a mattress, shopping can be challenging. Nectar offers an affordable, high-quality mattress that falls within the category of all foams. It is the generous trial period of 365 nights that you’ll really enjoy about this mattress. If you want to prevent bed sores, give the Nectar mattress a chance to prove itself to you. You can request a full refund if not satisfied.
An adaptive memory foam layer is placed on top of a foundation of stabilized support foam. By distributing body weight and heat throughout the night, the gel memory foam layer will ensure that you stay cool and comfortable. It has also been designed to support spine alignment among other benefits, such as pressure relief around shoulders and hips. There is a 6.5/10 rating for this mattress, so most sleepers will find it comfortable.
- Advantages. Cushioning, support, and comfort are all included in the 365-sleep trial period.
- Disadvantages. Heavy sleepers may have trouble keeping their heads up due to the foam’s slow response
The Best Luxury. With a new mattress, you can prevent bedsores as well as get a good night’s sleep. Mattresses of excellent quality are available at affordable prices. Unrivaled quality without a high price tag is one of the best things about Saatva loom and leaf. Saatva’s Lineal Adjustable Base is compatible with this handcrafted mattress. Also included are materials that offer long lasting quality.
Mattress layers of premium foam are sandwiched between a quilted organic cotton cover and a layer of premium foam. Multiple layers of foam ensure your spine and body get the optimal amount of comfort and support. By combining these layers, you can enjoy comfort and support while overcoming pressure. When you want to prevent bedsores from getting worse or from worsening, you might want to consider this mattress. Although a little firmer, there are two levels of firmness to choose from, Relaxed Firm and Firm.
- Advantages. Mattresses come in two firmness levels and are made from premium materials.
- Disadvantages. Although this is a fairly expensive model in comparison to many others, some might find it hard to handle
A Good Memory Foam. If you want a mattress that relieves pressure, you should look into memory foam. As a result of NASA’s development of memory foam, it is highly contoured. Your body is cradled and pressure points are prevented. For sleeping on your side with bedsores on your body, we recommend the Puffy Lux. This mattress will keep you cool as you sleep and relieve pressure on your body.
Its excellent durability and cooling comfort, as well as excellent support, make this product a great choice. Sleeping on this multi-layer mattress provides both a relaxing and supportive environment. There are layers of Body Adapting Dual Cloud Foam on top of Puffy’s renowned Cooling Cloud and Climate Comfort foams. Memory foam generally causes fewer bedsores than traditional foam, which is cooler and less likely to cause heat damage. A lifetime warranty and free shipping are provided by the company.
- Advantages. An adaptable material that is pressureless, cool, comfortable, and supportive;
- Disadvantages. A mattress with this price tag may not be suitable for stomach sleepers, since it’s significantly more expensive than most models
A Great Gel Foam. A memory foam mattress provides a lot of pressure relief and can ease aches and pains. A memory foam mattress may make you feel hot at night due to its ability to trap heat. Maintaining a dry skin surface is crucial in preventing bedsores. As opposed to a traditional foam mattress, the Gel Plush by Idle Sleep keeps you cool and comfortable without compromising pressure relief because it’s a gel foam mattress instead of a traditional foam one.
Thanks to the high-density foam base and memory foam top, the idle Sleep Gel Plush offers remarkable comfort throughout the night. It actually conforms to you and has a more neutral temperature than standard memory foam. Following this, comes a layer of buoyancy foam infused with gel, followed by a cooling foam layer. Additionally, the surface has a quilted pattern.
- Advantages. It is an ideal choice for those who prefer a cooling mattress and who prefer outstanding pressure relief.
- Disadvantages. Edge support could be better, and flippable beds are not available
One-of-a-Kind Dual-Sided. Bedsores can develop when you do not change positions frequently. The pressure on any part of your body in the bedroom needs to be avoided. A comfortable bed is hard to come by, however. If you have trouble choosing the right mattress, you might want to think about the Layla Memory Foam mattress. You will be able to switch between the two sides of this two-sided mattress in order to find a comfortable position.
Copper-gel material is better at wicking away body heat than conventional memory foam, so Memory Foam Layla mattresses have an advantage over conventional memory foam mattresses. It is also naturally antibacterial, so you’ll sleep better. Copper-gel memory foam layers are surrounded by a supportive core. Put the mattress with the firmness level you prefer on the top and flip it when necessary. There is a 120-night trial period with Layla mattresses, so as long as you are not satisfied, you can return the mattress for free.
- Advantages. Cooling, comfortable, and supportive, memory foam is infused with copper.
- Disadvantages. When using slow-response foam, you may have difficulty changing positions
The Best Hybrid. What is the point of buying a mattress if you cannot decide what material is best? With hybrid mattress, you can customize your sleep experience by combining two materials. For bedsores prevention, we recommend the Leesa Hybrid as our top pick. Its pocket coil base and premium foam, which are designed for cooling and contouring, help relieve pressure points and provide edge-to-edge support.
The Leesa Hybrid conforms to your body weight and movement pattern thanks to its responsive base constructed with more than 1,000 springs. Hole-punched foam is used to create a layer of cooling, contouring, hugging, and bouncing comfort for the top layer. The mattress is fairly firm, requiring a firmness rating of 5-7 on a scale of 10. It comes with a soft, breathable cover. We offer a 100-night risk-free trial period and a 10-yr warranty with every Leesa mattress.
- Advantages. High-quality hybrid design with stabilizing pocket coils for comfort and support
- Disadvantages. Mattresses made of foam are more expensive
The Best Option for Couples. You can have a difficult time choosing mattress that meets the preferences of your partner when you sleep together. The great thing about Helix is that they offer all types of sleepers a wide selection of options. Our favorite Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is medium-firm in firmness. The hybrid design of this mattress makes it especially suitable for side sleepers. There is a 100-night trial period and free delivery. The warranty lasts for 15 years.
There is also a softer Helix Midnight Luxe mattress available. There are over 1,000 individually wrapped coils in this particular model, which is built upon a DuraDense foam foundation. With advanced lumbar support from pocketed coils, each coil responds to motion individually. Polyfoam is another cushioning material available in addition to memory plus foam and gel visco foam.
- Advantages. Stylish and comfortable hybrid mattress with a complimentary 100-night trial.
- Disadvantages. In comparison with some brands, this mattress is a reasonable price, but heavy sleepers may find it too soft
An Excellent Pain Reliever. When you are in pain, sleeping is difficult. You may experience pain if you choose the wrong mattress. There is often a connection between pain at night and pressure points on the spine. A Nolah Original mattress may be ideal for those who want a bed that reduces pressure and provides better support. Offering an affordable price and excellent value, this 10-inch mattress features cooling technology.
There are three layers of premium materials in the Nolah Original mattress. The top layer is resilient foam and there is a 7-inch layer of supportive foam beneath it. The cooling system makes the mattress comfortable and relieves pressure while relieving pressure. This mattress has a similar shape to a pillow, but its cover is breathable and helps to absorb sweat. A free night’s sleep trial is included with each Nolah mattress.
- Advantages. Cools the body, relieves pressure, and is breathable. The spine is well supported.
- Disadvantages. Some heavy sleepers and stomach sleepers may find it too soft
The Best Choice for Cooling. Bedsores are probably your biggest concern if you are concerned about pressure relief. When it comes to mattress quality, you should be okay as long as you buy a high-quality model. In addition, temperature regulation should be considered. When you tend to sleep hot, it could be difficult to keep your skin dry and prevent bedsores. In addition to being free to ship and offering a risk-free 100-night trial, the Bear Hybrid is our recommendation if you are looking for a cooling mattress.
Six layers of foam make up the Bear Hybrid mattress, which provides cooling comfort and pressure relief during the night. Quantum Edge Coils provide high-density foam as a firm foundation for spinal alignment. It is topped off by a comfort layer made up of high-density, conforming foam that provides an ideal night’s rest. In terms of quality and comfort, the Bear Hybrid mattress is unbeatable. Sleeping on this mattress will be unlike anything you’ve ever experienced.
- Advantages. It is cool and comfortable, provides support for all bodies types, and relieves sore muscles.
- Disadvantages. Heavy or stomach sleepers may not find it firm enough
Durable. There is a correlation between mattress quality and price. Quality products should last for a long time if you are going to pay for them. If you’re concerned about pressure relief and durability, the DreamCloud mattress is an excellent option. In addition to its pillow top, this hybrid mattress boasts a coil base with edge to edge support, which relieves pressure. Besides the free trial period, you can also test it for 365 nights and decide for yourself whether it is right for you.
A cashmere blend cover covers the DreamCloud mattress, while quilted Eurotop provides ample air flow. Mattresses with 6-zoned pocketed innerspring coils offer targeted support. On top of the mattress are several layers of memory foam. Changing positions on this mattress is easy and doesn’t leave you with pressure points to deal with. Additionally, it is rated 6.5 out of 10 for luxury firmness, which is perfect for most people.
- Advantages. Comfort and support provided by memory foam layers and coils encased in premium materials.
- Disadvantages. Mattresses with hybrid materials tend to be heavier
Bedsores must be treated more effectively than applying creams and ointments. In addition to medicated creams for treating the symptoms, you must address the issue of pressure or the wound won’t heal. An ideal mattress to help relieve pressure is one that offers pressure relief.
In the case of an issue like bedsores, our recommendations should not be confused with medical advice. By offering information about pressure relieving mattresses, we are simply trying to assist you in making an educated choice.
Hopefully, you have the information and tips you need to get started shopping because of the tips provided here. You should discuss your options with your doctor before making a decision. Wishing you luck!
Frequently Asked Questions about Best Mattresses to Prevent Bed Sores
What is the Time it Takes for Bedsores to Develop?
Regardless of how much pressure is applied, bedsores or pressure ulcers can develop very quickly. Over a two- to three-hour pressure cutoff, the skin starts to die. Left untreated, the skin will damage further, become infected, and possibly break open. Bedsores can be relieved by shifting positions at the first sign of pressure. Symptoms should start improving within 24-48 hours, so see a doctor if you don’t notice any improvement.
Do Bedsores Cause Death?
People who are frail or elderly and unable to move around are at risk for bedsores. Untreated bedsores can cause infection and cause skin discoloration as early as the first stage. Sepsis in the bones and joints is a result of infection of the skin and bones. Bedsore-related complications cause around 60,000 deaths per year
Pressure Ulcers and Air Mattresses: Are They Compatible?
An air mattress made for hospitals may be the best mattress for bed sores if you have the money to spend. Alternating pressure levels in these mattresses help reduce the development of bed sores by allowing sleepers to turn during the night. In addition, the beds are not available in large sizes since they are designed for hospitals. A memory foam mattress with a high density will require you to change positions frequently to avoid prolonged pressure.
What are the Benefits of Memory Foam Mattresses for Bedsores?
Pressure ulcer development can be slowed down by using mattresses made of high-density foam. It is memory foam which, in general, provides the best pressure relief. Moving around and changing positions may be difficult on a memory foam mattress. A bed that can be adjusted could help you combat this problem.
How Should a Person Sleep to Prevent Bedsores?
Keeping one part of the body from being under pressure for too long is essential to avoiding bedsores. If you’re able to, you should change positions throughout the night if you can, even if you sleep flat on your back. The pressure from your body weight will be distributed more evenly this way than when you sleep on your side. You can use pillows under knees, shoulders, and ankles if you need relief in certain areas.