What's in This Guide?
- 1 Also Read
- 2 How Does Pregnancy Affect Sleep?
- 3 The Best Ways To Sleep During Pregnancy
- 4 Mattress Buying Guide
- 5 Mattresses That Are Good for Pregnancy
- 6 Pregnant Women Should Choose One of The following Mattresses
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions About Best Mattress for Pregnancy
Last Updated on September 4, 2021 by Sandra Allens
Throughout the course of a pregnancy, most women experience rapid changes. You body’s size and shape will change during the next 9 months due to hormonal fluctuations. You will also notice a change in the shape and size of your body due to hormonal changes. Having the best mattress for pregnancy will be a major boost to adverse effects that may arise during the period.
- Construction using multiple layers of foam
- A comfortable and supportive environment
- Materials that are climate-adaptive
- Relieves pressure effectively
- Pressure relief and comfort
- Test of 100 nights of sleep
When a woman is pregnant for the first few months, she usually experiences high levels of excitement prior to developing morning sickness. In addition to joint pain and muscle aches, you may suffer from sleep disorders as you gain weight. Physical exhaustion and a feeling like you do not belong here is what demands sleep when you are physically exhausted. Getting enough sleep might be difficult while you are growing another person.
If you suffer from sleep problem during pregnancy, it is possible that your mattress needs to be upgraded. If your mattress isn’t helping you sleep through the night, you might need to get a new one. We provide some tips in this article to help you sleep better during pregnancy. Here are our top picks for the best mattresses for pregnancy, as well as what to look for when shopping for a new mattress.
How Does Pregnancy Affect Sleep?
As soon as you find out you are pregnant, you may experience difficulty sleeping due to the excitement you are experiencing. As soon as the excitement of the first time wears off, however, it is essential to realize that the preparation here will take quite some time. You may not be able to sleep comfortably for several weeks after you have undergone the procedure, and this may be due to the fact that your body is slowly changing.
Pregnancy can Cause Problems Sleeping for the Following Reasons:
- Peeing Frequently. It is normal to wake up in the middle of the night and need to pee as the levels of pregnancy hormone hCG and blood filtration increase during the first trimester. Growing uterus puts pressure on the bladder in the third trimester, leading to an increase in urination.
- Discomfort and Pain. During pregnancy, your body may no longer permit you to sleep in the same position you used to. Sleeping on your back after the first trimester can cause circulation problems due to the growing uterus.
- Heartburn. It is not uncommon for pregnant women to experience heartburn at night or after lying down. A baby tends to take up more space during the final trimester.
- Pregnancy Insomnia. You may have difficulties falling or staying asleep due to fluctuating hormones and bodily changes. First and third trimesters are most common times of pregnancy insomnia.
- Leg Cramps. Weight gain may cause blood vessels to become compressed after pregnancy, resulting in calf spasms. Women are affected by it to a greater or lesser extent.
- Sleep apnea. Obesity and diabetes can increase your risk of sleep apnea, a relatively common condition.
Sleeping while you can is often the advice expectant mothers receive. Baby’s schedule can be unpredictable, and newborns are extremly disruptive. Pregnancy will leave you exhausted, so get as much sleep as you can while you can.
The Best Ways To Sleep During Pregnancy
Sleep is necessary for keeping your hormone levels in check and recharging your body during pregnancy. It is important for your immune system and mind to get enough sleep so that your body can process all the changes it has been through during the day. It can be difficult to sleep well if your body doesn’t feel like yours. However, you can make sleeping easier for yourself by following a few simple steps.
For More Comfortable Sleeping During Pregnancy, Follow These Tips:
- If at all possible, avoid caffeinated drinks in the afternoons and evenings – even chocolate has caffeinated properties.
- In the morning, you should constantly consume water, but taper off your consumption at night and ensure you don’t consume anything right before you go to sleep.
- It is best to practice gentle exercise before going to bed at night so that its stimulating effects won’t keep you awake.
- Take a bath in the evening to relax your body before going to bed.
- Utilize blackout curtains and a white noise machine if necessary to keep your bedroom cool, dark, and quiet.
- If you have trouble sleeping, try relaxing for about 20 minutes in another room. Sit up and rest a few minutes rather than tossing and turning in bed.
- It is best to keep your eating habits light and to avoid spicy foods right before bedtime.
You might be wondering what role your mattress plays now that you have a better understanding of what causes sleep problems during pregnancy. Whether you’re pregnant or not, sleeping on a bad mattress will not make you feel great.
Mattress Buying Guide
Choosing the right mattress from the vast array of options available on the market can be quite difficult. There are a number of good mattresses for pregnant women that give them enough pressure relief to keep their spines aligned while providing them with the most comfort possible. Memory foam is only one factor to consider when choosing a mattress.
Choosing a Mattress Requires a Few Considerations:
- A memory foam mattress or a latex mattress will conform to and absorb pressure from your body; pocket spring mattresses are also a good choice.
- Ensure that the firmness level meets your needs. Generally, a medium-firm mattress would not be suitable for people who weigh more than 250 pounds.
- If you choose a mattress made from any type of material, it should come with a supportive base that will allow you to keep a balanced spine.
- For couples who sleep together, consider motion isolation properties such as memory foam or pocketed coils.
- Prices alone aren’t important when shopping. There may be no difference between a cheap and an expensive mattress.
Because there are so many different choices available, purchasing a new mattress can be challenging. Our mattress recommendations have been compiled for you because we’ve done the research for you. Find out which is the top pregnancy mattress by reading on.
Mattresses That Are Good for Pregnancy
Changing your mattress can be a smart investment given how your body has to adapt to new life inside you as it changes. If your mattress is seven or eight years old, it is definitely time to replace it. A comfortable bed will definitely come in handy during the first couple of hours or days after your baby arrives, as you won’t have the energy to make any big decisions.
Pregnant Women Should Choose One of The following Mattresses
Overall Best. Finding the right combination of comfort and support is the key to a good night’s sleep. During pregnancy, your body is constantly changing, so this can be challenging. Due to foam’s adaptability to various sleeping styles and the body’s changing needs, we recommend it for pregnant women.
In addition to providing enhanced spine alignment and balanced support, this Puffy Lux mattress is available in four layers of foam. With its four layers of high-quality foam materials at the bottom, the Body Adapting Dual Cloud Foam layer relieves pressure on the body as needed. As an added bonus, it has a luxurious cover. With its high-density transition comfort layer, the Puffy Lux will help you sleep well at night.
If you want a full refund or free shipping on all orders, you can return your puffy mattress within 101 nights. The warranty is also lifetime. There’s no risk in trying it!
- Advantages. Climate-adaptable materials, supportive, and cooling.
- Disadvantages. Not firm enough for heavy sleepers, quite expensive in comparison to other models
It’s the Most Budget-Friendly. Buying a new mattress would probably be an unnecessary expense for you considering what you already spent on the nursery. You can find an affordable mattress at a high level of quality with Nectar. It is made from affordable materials for an affordable price, as well as offering a generous 365-night trial and premium materials.
Featuring all the latest mattress and fabric innovations, the Nectar mattress provides a comfortable night’s sleep. Two sides of the mattress are made of gel memory foam to accommodate your body’s contours and distribute weight evenly. You remain comfortable and cool in this way. You feel supported without any pain since it contours to your body. Tencel is a moisture-wicking, cooling material found on this mattress. Simply put, it’s top of the line for a fantastic price!
- Advantages. Featuring a multilayer foam construction, this mattress is both comfortable and supportive. You have 365 nights to try it out.
- Disadvantages. As foam sometimes takes time to respond, heavy sleepers may find the mattress uncomfortable
The Best Luxury. There’s no such thing as a free lunch, especially when you’re short on time to sleep. In the case of luxury materials and paying a little more for quality, Saatva’s Loom & Leaf mattress is the best choice. Featuring organic cotton, Spinal Zone Gel, pure memory foam layers, you will find this mattress to be the most comfortable you’ve ever experienced.
Choosing between two firmness levels makes choosing the right firmness level easy. It provides the support you need regardless of your sleeping position and adjusts well to changes in sleep position. Firm is the best option if you prefer something firmer. Loom & Leaf offers 120-night sleep trials and 0% APR financing for all of their mattresses. That’s a good start, isn’t it?
- Advantages. Two firmness levels are available, made with premium materials. Compatible with adjustable bases
- Disadvantages. It is relatively expensive compared with other models, and some users might find it too firm
An Excellent Memory Foam. You shouldn’t sacrifice support when you are pregnant, but pressure point relief is vital. As the foam conforms to the contours of your body, it helps keep the spine in correct alignment. When it comes to pregnant women’s mattresses, WinkBed suggests the memory foam mattress MemoryLux. A free trial period of 120 nights is included, as well as three firmness levels.
Pregnancy causes many different things that keep you awake, including nausea, backaches, and mood swings. People often complain of breathing difficulties, dealing with pressure on their joints, and drowning in sweat. Their patented AirFoam technology will help address both of these issues with the WinkBed MemoryLux. In addition to lumbar support and dynamic pressure relief, this mattress also offers optimal motion isolation. A tufted gel foam quilt pulls heat away from your body while you sleep, so you’ll sleep cool on this mattress.
- Advantages. Comfortable and supportive foam that allows you to sleep coolly, effectively relieves pressure points, and provides dynamic pressure point relief.
- Disadvantages. Some sleepers find the mattress too soft; it could have better edge support
We Recommend Gel Foam. The greatest advantage of memory foam is its ability to absorb motion, relieve pressure, and provide support. Gel foam, on the other hand, doesn’t trap heat, so you won’t feel hot, as is the case with memory foam. A cooler sleeping surface, Aslan gel foam is CertiPUR-US certified, and it is superior to traditional memory foam. You can also try it out for a year with no costs for returns.
Aslan gel foam mattresses allow you to sleep comfortably like no other mattress. Its active support foam keeps your spine in proper alignment no matter what position you sleep in. Following the Next Generation memory foam is a thin layer of foam. Any body shape can be accommodated by the comfort layer. Soft fabric covers the top of the gel beads and memory foam. As a bonus, the queen-sized mattress is extremely affordable, costing only $1000.
- Advantages. These companies offer generous trial periods with no shipping charges, as well as cooling and pressure relief.
- Disadvantages. A 50-night break-in period is required for the 50-night sleep trial, with only one firmness/thickness option
Couples Will Love it. Sleeping with a partner can be challenging as well, especially if you’re pregnant. With the body heat added by your partner, you are awakened with every move. For couples expecting a child, we recommend the Helix Luxe pregnancy mattress. It also comes with a 15-year warranty and a 100-night trial period.
There are specific models for different sleeping styles within the Helix Luxe mattress’ firmness level spectrum. This mattress is ideal for side sleepers because of its medium-firmness and design. It is an exceptionally designed mattress with body contouring to provide support and comfort to the lower spine. There are also layers that conform to and relieve pressure on top of the polyfoam, gel visco foam, and memory foam.
- Advantages. Comfortable and pressure-relieving, 100-night trial of high-end hybrid mattress.
- Disadvantages. There are a number of drawbacks to this mattress, including its high price and oversupply for heavy sleepers
The Best Choice for Cooling. Your hormones are affected and your body temperature can be affected by pregnancy. It feels as if it’s 100 degrees outside one minute, then freezing again. When they are too warm, many women have trouble sleeping. In that case, you might want to consider the Bear Pro.
A copper-infused foam from Bear Pro keeps you cool and clean at night. The Celliant cover, which allows air to flow, helps speed up the recovery of muscles in this mattress. Gel memory foam is used for the inner layer of the mattress and is infused with copper on top. Pressure-relieving foam lies beneath the transition layer, while a high-density support foam layer sits below. Free shipping and returns are included with Bear mattresses’ two hundred nights of risk-free trial.
- Advantages. A medium-firm feel and a wide range of compatibility makes the cooling foam an excellent choice for any foundation.
- Disadvantages. Some people may find it too firm, and very heavy people may not find it comfortable
Innersprings of Best Quality. The continuous coil innerspring mattress is probably what you’re accustomed to despite what you think. Despite being durable and offering decent support, these mattresses don’t do much to keep motion out. Pocketed coils are often found in modern innerspring mattresses, which eliminate motion transfer by responding individually to pressure. The Saatva Classic is a great innerspring mattress to try.
With its luxury hybrid innerspring mattress, Satva Classic, you can choose between three different levels of pressure relief: Plush Soft, and Firm. A quilted euro pillow and organic cotton cover come with this mattress. While heavier sleepers may appreciate a little extra firmness, we recommend the Luxury Firm model for pregnant women. Deliveries and setup are included with every Saatva mattress.
- Advantages. The breathable and supportive hybrid mattresses are offered in three different firmness levels.
- Disadvantages. The foam mattresses commonly available today are usually lightweight, contoured, but less hugging than the hybrid mattresses
A Great Hybrid. A hybrid mattress may be the best choice if you are unsure about which type to choose. With hybrid mattresses, you can customize the degree of comfort to suit your tastes and preferences, combining two to more materials. Hybrid mattresses like the Layla provide both support and comfort thanks to the combination of premium memory foam and pocketed coils.
Changing the firmness of the Layla Hybrid mattress is as simple as turning it over. 6 inches of pocketed coils provide excellent edge support. These coils are surrounded by a double coil system. In addition to memory foam with copper gel, air channels provide maximum cooling with Max Airflow memory foam. An easy-to-clean cover made of breathable fabric wraps the mattress.
- Advantages. Dual support pocket coils, cooling, and dual firmness are all included in this mattress.
- Disadvantages. The foam version is slightly more expensive, but some sleepers may find it too soft
The Best Organic Products. Make smart decisions as the mother so that your baby will have the very best start in life. Our recommendation is PlushBeds, which makes an organic mattress of high quality. It features organic latex and a luxurious design, making it the best mattress you can find.
With PlushBeds Botanical Bliss mattress, you can choose between three sizes and two levels of firmness. Mattress features organic cotton cover for breathability and temperature regulation, as well as organic Dunlop latex inside that reduces pressure. This cooling mattress provides excellent support while letting you breathe naturally. It is furthermore guaranteed that no pesticides or hazardous chemicals were used in its production.
On PlushBeds mattresses, you can try them out for 100 nights for free and return them if you don’t like them. As part of our generous warranty program, you’ll receive 25 years of protection.
- Advantages. Provides pressure relief, support, and three levels of firmness.
- Disadvantages. The cost of the model is significantly higher than that of other models
Latex of the Highest Quality. Some find that memory foam sinks too much even though it is best at relieving pressure. Pregnant women should avoid paying attention to their beds when they’re pregnant, as they can be very uncomfortable. If you’re looking for something with a little more bounce, natural latex may be your best choice. The Zenhaven mattress from Saatva would be our recommendation.
With 100% natural and organic materials, the Zenhaven mattress provides pure comfort. In an effort to keep your spine aligned, this mattress provides five zones of latex comfort. As a result, your spine will be supported specifically where it needs it the most. Talalay latex also provides a base that is resilient for support, as well as a wool layer and organic cotton cover that is breathable and will keep you cool and comfortable.
There is nothing harmful about this mattress, as it is naturally hypoallergenic and antimicrobial. Additionally, it comes with a 120-night home trial and free white glove delivery. There is nothing worse than tossing and turning all night long. It can be hard to keep up with the changes your body goes through during pregnancy. It is easy to drift off to sleep at the end of the day.
There may be a problem with your mattress if you are having difficulty sleeping. It is possible that one solution to your problem may be to get a mattress with more support. Our goal has been to provide you with ideas for how to resolve a few of the factors that can affect sleep during pregnancy. Try out one of the best mattresses for pregnancy that we have recommended above.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Mattress for Pregnancy
Are New Mattresses Safe for Pregnant Women?
However, some people can experience allergic reactions to memory foam mattresses. During the expanding and re-shaping process after a mattress has been taken out of its box, it will release gas. Choosing a mattress without gases can cause allergies during pregnancy can be a good idea since memory foam mattresses pose little risk while pregnant. CertiPUR-US® Certified materials are the best choice for mattresses, so make sure your mattress has them.
Is a Firm Mattress Better for Pregnancy than a Soft One?
It is always better to sleep on a medium or firm mattress regardless of your physical condition. Mattresses that are too firm may not be able to relieve your body’s pressure. You can experience pressure points on your hips and shoulders when sleeping on your side, which can result in a lot of soreness and stiffness. When you sleep on a too soft mattress, your spine may start to shift, causing bothersome problems. Medium or firm mattresses provide ample support, yet allow you to relieve pressure and reposition as needed during the night without being too soft.
What is the Best Position to Sleep in During Pregnancy?
Sleep on your side or SOS is typically recommended by experts during pregnancy. The left side is the better side to sleep on. Your spine and stomach do not suffer excessive pressure when you sleep on your side. The placenta and your baby will receive maximum blood flow if you sleep on your left side. Put a pillow between your knees while sleeping to align your spine. Keep your knees and legs bent slightly while sleeping.
How Do Pregnancy Pillows Work?
You need a pregnancy pillow to accommodate the changes to your body when you are pregnant. Sleep comfortably in a variety of positions with these pillows. As you cradle these pillows, you feel your body squeezed between them.
How Comfortable is a Memory Foam Mattress to Sleep on During Pregnancy?
Definitely! Pregnant women can benefit greatly from a memory foam mattress. You may need to adjust your sleeping position over the course of a week as your body grows and develops. With memory foam, you get complete support without compromising pressure relief where it is needed. Those who have too firm or too soft a memory foam mattress should steer clear of them.