What's in This Guide?
- 1 Can Adults Use a Weighted Blanket?
- 2 A Weighted Blanket for Adults Should Include the following Components:
- 3 Weighed Blankets May Be Helpful for the following 10 Conditions in Adults
- 4 How to Choose the Best Weighted Blanket for An Adult
- 5 Top 8 Weighted Blankets We Recommend for Adults
- 5.1 YNM Adult Weighted Blanket
- 5.2 Blankets for Adults: ZonLi Weighted Blankets
- 5.3 Weighted blanket by Quility Premium adults
- 5.4 Weighted Blanket Degree of Comfort
- 5.5 Cotton Weighted Blanket by Weighted Idea
- 5.6 Dr. Hart’s Plush Weighted Blanket Set
- 5.7 Blanket Weighted Hypnoser for Kids And Adults
- 5.8 Blankets Made with Organic Cotton by LUNA
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions about Best Weighted Blankets for Adults
Last Updated on September 20, 2021 by Sandra Allens
Using a weighted blanket helps poor sleepers sleep better at night. A variety of behaviors are treated with these techniques by occupational therapists, but they are now more popular with anyone searching for relaxation moreso adults who seek the best weighted blankets for adults in the markets. Sometimes it’s called ‘deep-pressure therapy,’ which is based on the idea that pressure will increase serotonin levels, which will lift moods and promote relaxation. In spite of its therapeutic qualities, the gel is becoming a popular choice for insomniacs, anxiety sufferers, and self-described “bad sleepers” alike.
- Beads of premium glass
- Fabric made of breathable cotton
- Material made from premium cotton
- Beads of premium glass
- Various sizes available
There are things you can do to ensure you are getting a quality sleep, even if you can’t convince your employer to let you start an hour later. Weighted blankets can help you sleep better and wake up more rested by improving the length and quality of your sleep. As well as providing benefits for many diseases, they are also beneficial for treating various conditions.
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for weighted blankets! Our top 8 weighted blanket recommendations for adults are presented here as well as an overview of adult weighted blankets.
Can Adults Use a Weighted Blanket?
Though it sounds silly to be concerned about the safety of a blanket, the idea holds some validity. Weighted blankets effectively help babies fall asleep, but there are horror stories about parents who use them without knowing the consequences. Weighted blankets are controversial and combining them with a baby might encourage Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
Children and adults can use weighted blankets safely if they are used properly. Weighted blankets are not suitable for babies. The weight recommendations for children’s blankets differ, as well as the size recommendations. It is recommended that a weighted blanket for adults be at least 10 percent of your body weight in order to provide the desired benefits. The recommendation for children is 10% of their body weight plus 1 to 2 pounds.
Using a weighted blanket on an adult is a good idea, but you should not use a blanket meant for adults on your child. Too heavy of a blanket can restrict the breathing of your child. Purchase a weighted blanket for your child if you want them to use one.
A Weighted Blanket for Adults Should Include the following Components:
It doesn’t matter whether it is a weighted blanket for children or an adult, they all contain similar components. In order to compare and contrast the different options available, you should be familiar with the different types and components of weighted blankets.
Here Are a Few Quick Points About Weighted Blankets:
- Fully Sewn. The blanket has no removable cover, so it is an all-in-one weighted blanket. Cotton blankets are also available, but often these blankets are made of minky material.
- Removable Cover. The blanket consists of a weighted cover that can be removed and washed as well as a weighted component. Seasonal covers are available for some blankets.
- Box Construction. Sewing an even number of squares of weighted material allows it to be weighted down over time. Each box has material inside, like a down comforter.
- Channel Construction. Channel construction blankets usually offer more even weight distribution than box construction blankets because the channels are filled with weighted material.
- Shoulder Blanket. You can also cover your shoulders and lap with smaller blankets if you use weighted blankets in bed. Furthermore, these blankets are designed to be sat on rather than laid on for sleeping.
When it comes to choosing a weighted blanket, here are some considerations you should make based on the kind of blanket you want:
- Size. How you intend to use the blanket will dictate its overall size. Bed blankets can be thrown over your shoulders or draped across your lap and laps.
- Weight. You can adjust the weight for comfort, depending on the desired benefit, but 10% of your body weight is the ideal for adults.
- Fabric. As well as how much heat is retained, the fabric used to construct the blanket has a significant impact on its tactile feel. Minky blankets are warmer and more tactile than cotton blankets and keep you cooler.
- Filler. There are some weighted blankets made from natural materials like rice or millet, but most of them use synthetic materials like glass or plastic beads. A lead-weighted blanket should not be used..
- Cover. The covers on most weighted blankets can be removed for easy washing. The blanket itself should be cleaned by following the washing instructions.
A weighted blanket may serve an additional purpose other than these considerations. Weighted blankets are helpful for a variety of conditions – see the rest of the article to learn more.
Weighed Blankets May Be Helpful for the following 10 Conditions in Adults
Unlike regular blankets, a weighed blanket for adults is heavier. Weighted blankets have several uses, but what’s their purpose? DTP stimulation (deep touch pressure) is at the heart of many of the problems. Your brain produces more serotonin when the blanket is heavy, calming you down. In addition to reducing nervous system activity, it also reduces cortisol levels.
Weight Blankets Are Beneficial for The Following 10 Conditions:
- Stress and anxiety
- Perception disorder
- Inattentional Hyperactivity Disorder
- Pain caused by fibromyalgia
- Syndrome of restless legs
- Anxiety disorder
- Autistic disorder
Weighted blankets are not designed for treating medical or psychological issues. However, it can alleviate symptoms in some cases. You might find that a weighted blanket can help you sleep well when you’re anxious or suffering from pain.
How to Choose the Best Weighted Blanket for An Adult
The main difference between each weighted blanket is that you can choose the features that are most important to you based on the similarities of each blanket. You can start shopping for a weighted blanket by browsing our top 8 choices below – check them out to see which one sounds right for you:
Top 8 Weighted Blankets We Recommend for Adults
A weighted blanket is a perfect companion for adults. We recommend the YnM Weighted Blanket as one of the top weighted blankets on the market. You can choose the fabric of this blanket to ensure maximum comfort. With the option of a removable cover, you can choose between breathable cotton, minky, or bamboo fabrics. With four to five inches of box space in each box, this weighted blanket can distribute weight evenly. YnM’s weighted blanket system for adults adjusts to your body shape with 7 layers for maximum comfort.
- Advantages. Contained within a five-inch box, multiple layers of fabric, premium glass beads, different sizes, and choices of fabric
- Disadvantages. Machine washing may reduce the longevity of this product
Weighted blankets for anxiety are available from ZonLi, so you can choose from this great product. The 100% cotton fabric of this blanket is breathable, and the premium glass beads ensure that you will feel comfortable. There are four different weights and sizes available for this blanket. With this blanket, weight is distributed evenly and leaks are avoided. Despite the size, it’s relatively affordable and hypoallergenic.
- Advantages. The materials are hypoallergenic, the design has a 7-layer construction, the pockets are smaller to prevent leakage, the fabric is premium cotton, there are many sizes and colors to choose from, and the price is reasonable.
- Disadvantages. Heat makes it thinner and hotter in the summer
You will always be comfortable with the Quility weighted blanket, no matter what season it is. There are four different sizes and weights of this weighted blanket, which provides natural sleep support. A cotton material ensures that it is breathable, lightweight, and allows you to sleep comfortably during the summer. It also has a minky cover that can be removed for additional warmth if necessary. It features an even distribution of weight due to the box construction and is filled with high quality glass beads. The inclusion of a minky cover and variety of sizes may make this blanket slightly more expensive than some similar models.
- Advantages. It has a weight distribution that is even, several weights and weights to choose from, and premium glass beads. Additionally, cotton fabrics allow for better airflow.
- Disadvantages. Covers aren’t made from natural fibers, so applying the cover can be challenging
Weighted Blanket Degree of Comfort
This weighted blanket may be your best choice if you like having options. Throughout the blanket, nano-ceramic beads help distribute weight evenly by 10 points. You get two different duvet covers for your money with this set. Various fabrics are used for both covers: one is made up of a soft minky fabric that provides comfort and warmth, and another one is made up of a heat-wicking fabric that allows the person to stay cool. Despite few color options, this company has a variety of sizes and weights.
- Advantages. There are several sizes and weights of nano-ceramic bead filled duvets on the market, along with two duvet covers.
- Disadvantages. There aren’t as many color choices as you’d like, which may make it hard to share
A weighted blanket should be the right weight for whatever condition you are dealing with. Weighted Idea Cotton Weighted Blankets are available in four different sizes and weights. This blanket is built with a breathable cotton fabric and a hypoallergenic filling. The advantage of this blanket is that it features a unique seven-layered design. Additionally, a removable duvet cover can be purchased to utilize for warmth. Using 8 loops, you can easily attach and remove the cover for washing.
- Advantages. The fabric is cotton, the filling is hypoallergenic, the pockets are small for even weight distribution, the fabric is premium cotton, the fabric is premium cotton
- Disadvantages. The cover cannot be removed, and there are some tricky loops for attaching it
Dr. Hart’s weighed blankets are made with top-of-the-line materials and designed with cutting-edge technology. With the blanket is also a luxury weighted comforter. Unlike any other weighted blanket, ContourWave blankets provide body contouring. Exceptionally hypoallergenic, eco-friendly, quiet, and soft, DreamBeads are quartz microspheres. The air conditioners and heaters they provide are both able to cool and heat.
- Advantages. The ContourWave pattern is patent pending, DreamBeads are hypoallergenic and eco-friendly, and it was designed by a neurologist.
- Disadvantages. Blankets come in only one size, and they are more expensive than most
Various sizes and weights are available for this weighted blanket, which is ideal for hypnosis. The weighted blanket consistently earns excellent customer reviews not only because it is extremely affordable, but because it is also highly reliable. 100% cotton materials compose this blanket. The blanket is constructed in a box construction, ensuring no leaks and even weight distribution. For added convenience, the blanket’s cover can be removed and washed. Furthermore, the stitches are smaller and tighter so that it is more durable.
- Advantages. The cover can be removed and washed; the pockets are smaller, the weight distribution is even, the stitching is smaller for improved durability, it is quiet, and it is multicolored.
- Disadvantages. This cover does not come with a choice of colors
It is nearly impossible to sleep with most weighted blankets, even in the winter. Weighted blankets with organic cotton fabrics are breathable and made of a cooling material. In order to prevent shifting and leakage, the fabric is filled with medical-grade glass beans. A luxurious outer shell with 400 thread count and ideal fillings is included on this blanket. You can share it with your bed partner, even though it only comes with two weight options. The money back guarantee lasts for 365 nights.
- Advantages. It comes in two different weights, the loops to attach the cover can be tricky.
- Disadvantages. Two sizes, tricky to attach cover, only two types of weight
Frequently Asked Questions about Best Weighted Blankets for Adults
Can Adults Use Weighted Blankets?
Both adults and children can use weighted blankets. In addition to stress reducing and anxiety reducing effects, these oils can also be used to alleviate insomnia, ADHD, restless legs syndrome, and fibromyalgia. It varies with each individual, but weighted blankets are often helpful for adults who have difficulties sleeping.
What Is the Appropriate Weight for Weighted Blanket?
In general, adult blankets should weigh about 10% of the body weight of each person. One or two pounds more than a child’s body weight should be about ten percent. The blanket should weigh about 15 pounds for an adult who weighs 150 pounds. Weights from this range are ideal to achieve therapeutic benefits, although weight can be added or subtracted for comfort.
Can You Sleep Better with a Weighted Blanket?
Many reasons make weighted blankets useful for sleep. However, the most significant effect was that the weight stimulated serotonin production by deep touch pressure stimulation. Weighted blankets may help you sleep longer, fall asleep faster, and feel more rested when you wake up.
Do You Need to Wash Your Weighted Blanket?
Weighted blankets can be washed in different ways depending on their design. Some blankets have a washable cover that can be removed, while others have a one-piece design. You should refer to the washing instructions for the specific cover if it’s removable if you want to make sure you are washing it properly. As much as possible, spot-cleaning blankets without removable covers is best, and stains should be washed on the gentle cycle without chlorine bleach or fabric softener.
If you are anxious or simply want to sleep better, a weighted blanket may be of help. Sleep better by falling asleep faster, staying asleep longer, feeling refreshed when you wake up with these blankets. We’ve compiled a list of eight best weighted blankets for adults that will walk you through getting the right weighted blanket. Good luck!