What's in This Guide?
- 1 The Causes of Anxiety?
- 2 Is a Weighted Blanket Beneficial for Anxiety?
- 3 Anxiety Weighted Blankets: Types and Uses
- 4 Anxiety Weighted Blanket Components
- 5 The Following Weighted Blankets can Help Ease Anxiety
- 6 Listed Below are More Weighted Blankets for Anxiety
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions About Weighted Blankets for People with Anxiety
Last Updated on September 17, 2021 by Sandra Allens
People of all attitudes occasionally experience days when they are overwhelmed or nights when they just can’t sleep. There are worries and doubts inherent in human existence, at least it seems that way. If you are feeling restless, worried, or doubt that affects your daily functioning and quality of life, it might be anxiety.
- Weights distributed evenly
- Breathable material
Price: $49.80 on Amazon
- Material made from premium cotton
- is environmentally friendly
Price: $129.90 0n Amazon
- Minerals chelated
- A probiotic supplement
Price: $40.99 on Amazon
Worry and excessive fear are characteristic of anxiety disorders and they are usually triggered by everyday situations. These feelings can be felt at any time, but they can also hover around your mind like a constant companion.
You are not alone if you suffer from anxiety. About 40 million adults suffer from anxiety disorders in the United States every year. Anxiety can manifest itself in many different ways throughout your day, or even on a daily basis. It may not pose a danger to your life, but it can significantly impact your quality of life and prevent you from fulfilling your expectations. The options for treatment come with risks, however.
When people suffer from anxiety symptoms every day, they often look for something to help calm their minds when their minds are running on overdrive so they can cope with these symptoms on a daily basis. A weighted blanket may be a useful tool if you are suffering from anxiety.
The Causes of Anxiety?
There will always be times when you feel anxious. The feeling of worry and doubt is natural whether you want to conquer a big work presentation or deal with a major life decision. It is time to seek help if your anxiety starts taking over your life.
The Mayo Clinic suggests that anxiety can go by different names, but all share a similar set of symptoms including, but not limited to:
- Tension, nervousness, and restlessness
- Dangerous or doomsday-like circumstances
- Intense heartbeat
- Breathing rapidly, hyperventilation
- Feeling sweaty or trembling
- Concentration difficulties due to anxiety
- Having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep
- Symptoms of gastrointestinal distress
- Choking or smothering sensation
- Worrying excessively about something or someone
- Recurrent, unwanted thoughts and/or repetitive behaviors
According to the U.S., anxiety disorders are among the top five. Department of Health and Human Services has classified anxiety disorders, obsessional-compulsive disorders, panic disorders, posttraumatic stress disorders, and social phobias as disorders. Some of these disorders are triggered by traumatic life events, although their causes are not completely understood. Many individuals with anxiety disorders also suffer from medical conditions such as heart conditions, diabetes, thyroid problems, respiratory difficulties, and chronic pain. Drugs and alcohol withdrawal can also cause anxiety, as can substance abuse.
Is a Weighted Blanket Beneficial for Anxiety?
Anxiety can be treated in many ways, though the first step to recovery is receiving a solid diagnosis. Over time, you might be able to feel more in control and less anxious by developing a treatment plan with your doctor. Due to the lengthy duration of treatment, anxiety sufferers typically look to a more immediate treatment to alleviate their symptoms.
The benefits of weighted blankets for anxiety sufferers are well documented, and their effectiveness is backed by science.
In weighted blankets, weight is added to the blanket, usually in the form of tiny beads or pellets that are sewn into the blanket. Glass, plastic, or grains are usually added to weighted blankets to distribute the weight. Weighted blankets can be draped over your shoulders or over your lap.
Weighted blankets have been shown to be beneficial for anxiety in numerous studies. The weighted blanket weighed 30 pounds and was used by 32 adults with anxiety prior to various biological tests. Sixty-three percent of the users reported decreased anxiety symptoms, while three thirds reported reduced nervous system activity.
I want you to learn more about weighted blankets and decide for yourself if they’re right for you without being bored with study results. Weighted blankets rely on a technique known as deep touch pressure to benefit anxiety sufferers. Pressure that is applied gently and evenly on the body is known as deep touch pressure, and it provides a calming or soothing sensation. DTP has proven benefits backed by science:
- By increasing serotonin levels in the brain, it effects mood by lowering body temperature and blood pressure along with lowering anxiety and heart rate.
- Cortisol is a stress hormone closely associated with the body’s response to stress, and it can be reduced by eating fish.
- Blood pressure and heart rate are controlled by the vagus nerve, which is inhibited, reducing nervous system activity.
In addition to this, studies suggest that weighted blankets can aid anxiety sufferers in improving their sleep. Weighted blankets have been reported to calm a person’s sleep at night by reducing movement while they sleep. Furthermore, they said they slept more deeply and comfortably.
Anxiety Weighted Blankets: Types and Uses
Weighted blankets help relieve anxiety, no matter who you are or what your experience is. When researching the various types of weighted blankets, it can be confusing to choose one for anxiety.
This Quick Overview of Anxiety Weighted Blankets Will Help You to Determine the Type that Is Right for You:
- Channel Construction. The weighted blankets are made up of numerous channels stitched together with a heavy material. In this design, materials are distributed evenly, allowing them to move freely.
- Box Construction. Weighted material enclosed in individual boxes is used to create the appearance of a down-filled comforter.
- Fully Sewn. There is no removable or washable cover on these weighted blankets. The weighted materials usually are evenly distributed across the weighted frames, but they are usually available in a variety of sizes.
- Removable Cover. You can wash a weighted blanket’s cover if it has a removable cover. Some designs are easier to get on and off than others, so pay attention to how they attach to the blanket.
Weighted blankets are not necessarily marketed specifically for anxiety sufferers. If it is suitable for your size and benefits, a weighted blanket should ease your anxiety. Here are some practical tips on how to choose a weighted blanket.
Anxiety Weighted Blanket Components
It is not necessary to purchase a blanket that is marketed as an anxiety blanket if you are shopping for one. Choosing a blanket based on each component may be a better idea.
A Weighted Blanket for Anxiety Should have the Following Features:
- Size. Weighted blankets should be sized according to how they will be used. You can drape a small blanket across your neck or shoulders if you’re just using it to sit on the couch. It might be necessary to get a blanket the same size as your bed if you’re sleeping with it.
- Weight. Weighted blankets are usually between 5% and 10% of your body weight. If you are anxious, take the 10% dose. When it comes to blankets for children, they should weigh between 1 and 2 pounds plus 10% of their body weight.
- Filler. There are many materials that can be used to fill weighted blankets. Beads made of glass and plastic pellets are popular choices. They can also be filled with grains such as millet or rice, though those containing lead shouldn’t be used.
- Fiber. It is certainly worth considering the blanket’s materials. If you have sensitive skin or are worried about being too hot, cotton and linen are best. The use of thick or synthetic materials might work if you want your blanket to provide extra warmth. In addition to chenille and fleece, you can also use very soft materials for blankets.
You’re ready to shop for weighted blankets now that you know about their various types and features. Get the best weighted blanket for anxiety by reading our seven best weighted blankets for anxiety picks.
The Following Weighted Blankets can Help Ease Anxiety
Every weighted blanket is different, and it is up to you to choose the one that best suits your needs. If you’re looking for a little help getting started with your search, here are our top 7 picks for the best anxiety weighted blankets:
Cotton Weighted Blanket from Weighted Idea
Weighted blankets for anxiety are overall the best. With a variety of sizes and weights, it is an excellent anxiety weighted blanket option. It comes in four different sizes, nine different weights and five different colors – it can be customized as required. With a premium liner filled with weights, this blanket is made out of 100% cotton. Small pockets evenly distribute weight so that the jacket is well-balanced.
- Advantages. A layer of warmth is added to this line of blankets in addition to the organic cotton and sand-sized pellets.
- Disadvantages. Some people may find this blanket too warm due to the extra lining, and the cover is not removable
Listed Below are More Weighted Blankets for Anxiety
You can choose a different weighted blanket if the above option doesn’t seem right to you. Our recommendations for the six best weighted blankets for anxiety are as follows:
Weighted blankets for anxiety, including the YnM blankets, are accessible and affordable. There are ten different sizes to choose from, as well as weights between 5 and 25 pounds. Seven layers of material conform to the body of the wearer; this makes the hat extremely comfortable. Its box construction ensures that the weight is distributed evenly across the piece. A breathable cotton blanket or a soft minky blanket adorned with glass beads is available.
- Advantages. A 5- to 25-pound capacity, breathable, 3-year warranty, and less fiber means more accurate temperature regulation are features of this mattress.
- Disadvantages. Seams may tear easily, cannot be machine washed
Weighted blankets by Good Knight come in three weight options, but the 60-by-80-inch size is ideal for teens and adults. Featuring a box construction filled with micropellets of non-toxic poly, this blanket is made out of 100% premium cotton. There is an option to purchase a washable duvet cover, and the weighted material is distributed evenly. Besides that, you can return it for a full refund if you’re not happy.
- Advantages. The large, premium cotton blanket is designed for all ages, is box-constructed, comes with a liner, and is only available in one size. There are two different weights available as well.
- Disadvantages. There are only three weights, only one size, may be a bit too warm for some
Weighted blankets for anxiety can be a great choice no matter the season, and they will be comfortable, too. With every blanket, you will find a washable duvet cover. A hat made of fleece in the winter is warm, but the hat that is made of microfiber in the summer is cool. The weight of this weighted blanket varies from 6 to 25 pounds, with five different sizes and weights. As well as the nano-ceramic beads, the comforting weight is evenly distributed.
- Advantages. Your duvet will be stitched securely, come in five weights, and four sizes.
- Disadvantages. Shareability issues, shifting weighted materials, and challenging attachments may occur in some sections
Weighted blankets are uniquely designed for sleeping, and Sonno Zona is no exception. Choosing between textured and smooth textures allows you to have your blanket in two different sensory experiences. There is also a duvet cover with this blanket, so you can use it throughout the year. Machine-washable, it is easy to take care of. An appliance filled with sand-like pellets, made from hypoallergenic fabric and quilted to ensure evenly distributed weight.
- Advantages. With the minky fabric you get a soft touch, the quilting distributes weight evenly, and the sand pellets give it a dual sensory experience. The cotton blanket and washable covers are included.
- Disadvantages. There are only two weights and it is very expensive
Blanket & Cover: Premium Quality Adult Weighted Blanket
The Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket is an affordable option if you want a weighted blanket that’s removable and washable. Sizes are available in a range of weights starting from 5 pounds to 25 pounds. This pillow is constructed of cotton fibers embedded with glass beads, and contains a box construction that distributes weight evenly. We guarantee the quality of all our goods 100 percent.
Advantages. The duvet cover is removable for easy cleaning, so you can control the temperature, and the duvet is made from 100% breathable cotton with glass beads.
Disadvantages. As the cover is not made from natural fibers, it is difficult to put back on
The ZonLi Soft Weighted Blanket provides a weighted blanket that isn’t overly pricey. Blanket size is 36″ x 48″, weight is 5-30 pounds, and size is 48″ x 87″. Additionally, there is a variety of colors available, and it is made of materials that are nontoxic, such as cotton and pellets. This weighted blanket has a box design that distributes weight evenly, making it suitable for daily use or sleeping.
- Advantages. The item is made out of 100% cotton, offers a variety of sizes, does not contain any harmful chemicals, and can be machine washed.
- Disadvantages. You can expect hot and humid summers, as well as thinner air than expected
Frequently Asked Questions About Weighted Blankets for People with Anxiety
Is Weighted Blanket Really Effective for Treating Anxiety?
The scientific evidence supporting the use of weighted blankets in anxiety treatment varies from individual to individual. Although weighted blankets are not intended to replace medical treatment, they are beneficial for managing symptoms on a daily basis.
Weighted Blankets Should Be Made with How Much Weight?
Weighted blankets range in weight based on a number of factors, including weight and size. Small weighted blankets should carry a weight and 10% body weight of 1 or 2 pounds each for children and young teens. Adults need to maintain about 10% of their body weight.
Can Children Who Have Anxiety Use Weighted Blankets?
It may be necessary to seek help for your child when they show signs of anxiety since children can’t always express or identify their feelings. Weighted blankets are an effective way for your child to calm down though they can’t replace medical treatment. Children sometimes have benefit from weighted blankets while they sleep or when they sit at daytime.