What's in This Guide?
- 1 Read Also
- 2 How to Clean a Mattress: The Things You Need
- 3 Cleaning Time
- 4 Make Sure Your Mattress Is Encased
- 5 Some of The Best Cleaning Sprays Include:
- 6 A Guide on How to Clean a Mattress that Does Not Have an Encasement
Last Updated on September 14, 2021 by Sandra Allens
It requires a certain amount of expertise and knowledge on how to clean your mattress, otherwise you will end up with a stinky and messy bed. In addition to you and your partner, many other people may also find it quite challenging to sleep together in the same bed at night. Under the sheets as well as between the mattress cover there are many dust mites that live. You are also providing these mites with plenty of resources each night when you serve up the dead skin cells and sweat that come off your body.
The more often your mattress is cleaned, the less likely it will be to develop mites, stains, and odors, and in addition, the longer the mattress lasts. As part of this course, you will learn how to take care of a mattress and how to prevent accidental messes from occurring in the future.
How to Clean a Mattress: The Things You Need
- Encasement of the mattress. The difference between an encasement (also known as a protector) and a mattress cover (which simply fits over the top of the mattress) lies in the fact that an encasement has six sides that zip, while a cover only fits over the top of the bed. In my opinion, the most important things to consider when purchasing a rain jacket are whether or not it is waterproof, machine washable, or tight-woven. We recommends the AllerZip Smooth Mattress Encasement by Protect-A-Bed as the best mattress encasement. There is no necessity to include any of the items below if there is a protective encasement present.
- The vacuum cleaner. The Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV352 vacuum cleaner is one of the vacuum cleaners that we recommend on this quest of how to clean a mattress. Its features include a powerful suction, attachments, and a HEPA filter, so it’s a great vacuum cleaner to consider.
- Spray bottle. There will be no chance of mildew developing inside the mattress as a result of cleaning liquids soaking through the mattress.
- White vinegar. The use of vinegar for cleaning and deodorizing purposes is well known.
- Dishwashing liquid. You can use it to deal with all types of messes on your hands that may be tarnished or stained with oils and dirt. The dishwashing liquid we use is mostly Dawn dishwashing liquid, but we also use Seventh Generation dishwashing liquid.
- Cleaning with enzymes. This handle will be useful in case you have stains left by pets or find yourself in other hard situations. The best stain and odor eliminator for dogs, according to us, is Nature’s Miracle Advanced Stain & Odor Eliminator.
- Baking soda. By neutralizing odors as well as absorbing dirt and grime, this eliminates these problems.
- Wipes made from microfiber or washcloths. They are less likely to fall apart when stained, so you should gently scrub away the stains with a soft cloth.
- Rub alcohol 70 percent pure or disinfectant purchased in a store
If you have an encased mattress, you will not have much trouble taking the cover off and throwing it in the washing machine in a matter of minutes. It could take you about 10 minutes to vacuum a normal carpet if you don’t have an encasement. The first thing you have to do is address the urgent situation (for example, where a urine stain appears or coffee spills). A good cleaning and vacuuming of the carpet might take a few minutes, but it might take a few hours for the carpet to be fully dried.
Make Sure Your Mattress Is Encased
There are a lot of reasons why you should consider using a mattress encasement before thinking of how to clean a mattress. Almost everyone we spoke to, including textile experts, chemists, allergists, mattress sellers, and mattress makers, also advised that people use a duvet or a mattress protector.
Generally, beddings and mattress encasements are constructed from tight fabric which hinders the penetration of dirt, dust, dust mites, as well as liquid droplets (such as urine, sweat, and coffee) into the mattress and bedding. There is no need to worry about dust mites since they are generally harmless. If you are allergic to them, they can lead to sneezing, running a cold, and possibly any other problems with your respiratory system. When you change your sheets every week (which should be done at least once a week), you should make sure that the encasement is completely zippered.
In most cases, unless your encasement becomes stained, you only need to wash the encasement once or twice every year when you use it on a regular basis. One allergist in Pasadena, California, Dr. Sonal Patel, explained that over-washing could result in loosened fibers on the pillow, which may adversely affect the way it performs.
Spills and Other Accidents: How To Clean a Mattress in That Case
In the case that the bedsheets have absorbed any residue, you would need to wipe them with a damp cloth. Removing the encasement, washing it in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation, and replacing it should be done carefully. Make sure there are no leaks in the mattress and make sure there are no leaks. When I assume the encasement worked as it should, I would encourage you to take a moment to marvel at the miracle (like I always do) and marvel at how it worked.
Some of The Best Cleaning Sprays Include:
- Contains an enzyme-based cleaner designed to effectively remove laundry stains, 25 oz.
- Clear, odorless Urine Odor Eliminating Spray, 32 Fl Oz by Resolve
- On contact, NEUTRALISES ODOR
- PETS and people with accidents will love this product!
- Hard floors, carpets, and fabrics are all safe
- REDUCES REMARKS
- This product uses an oxygen-powered catalyst to eliminate even the toughest stains – blood, pet odors, and wine will all disappear – Cleans carpets, furniture, and clothes in seconds.
Febreze Fabric Refresher in A Two-Pack
- Combined with Unstopables Fabric Refresher, Febreze and Unstopables will provide you the best of both worlds.
- Replacing odors with a clean, sparkling home or a scent like fresh laundry will get rid of any unpleasant odors.
- With the Unstopables FABRIC fragrance booster, you can enhance the scent of your clothes for longer. It is impossible to resist the smell. Based on the Febreze formula.
A Guide on How to Clean a Mattress that Does Not Have an Encasement
As a result, I recommend that you use a full-size vacuum cleaner with a strong suction once a month if your mattress is not covered with a mattress encasement. The upholstery attachment can be utilized to pick up debris by sweeping over the surfaces with it. It is best to use a crevice cleaner with an angled, hose-like head if there is a lot of dust trapped in the tufting, quilting, or piping around the edge of the pillow to remove it.
The Best Way on How to Clean a Mattress with Stains
Those areas that are covered in excessive grossness must be cleaned with dry paper towels as much as possible. Fill a spray bottle with equal parts of warm water and white vinegar, and you will be able to make a spray bottle. It is recommended to also rinse the mattress with dishwashing liquid to remove any dirt and oils that may have accumulated while the mattress was in use. The textile expert as well as the product manager of Corsicana Mattress Company, Aqsa Tasleem, agrees.
You shouldn’t be too thorough when it comes to this process, but be careful not to take quite so long as possible. There are a number of reasons why you should be cautious if using a solution in order to prevent it from penetrating deeply into the foam and preventing it from drying efficiently.
It is very important that the solution be worked into the mattress without damaging it, using a microfiber towel to help with this. A recent article by Carroll Applied Science owner William Carroll Jr. recommended that the color should be continued to wash until it is removed. In order to ensure that any residue left on your face by the cleanser can be removed, it is important to wash your face again with plain water. In order to dry your clothes as quickly as possible, you should use a paper towel or a clean cloth. Having stains on your walls or surfaces caused by molecules like cat pee, Carroll recommends enzyme cleaners to remove those stains. Stains are caused by the degradation of certain molecules by enzymes in the body. Make sure you follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer if it has provided them.
The vinegar solution should be allowed to dry for several hours before you add enough baking soda so that the excess moisture can be absorbed by the baking soda. As vinegar (which is an acid) reacts with urine’s components to neutralize the smell, baking soda (which is a base) is capable of neutralizing other acids that cause the urine to smell (as well as stomach acid, which is present in vomit).
A good way to ensure the baking soda completely dries before vacuuming it is to wait until all of it has dried completely before vacuuming. The mattress can be cleaned by spraying it with a store-bought disinfectant or 70% pure rubbing alcohol if you feel it needs disinfecting (for example, if a stomach bug has been transmitted to someone on the mattress).
Make sure your mattress is fully dry before you go to bed, so that you can sleep comfortably. During the process of shaving, you may want to open the window or use a hairdryer if this would speed up the process. Stuart Carlitz, the chief executive officer of Eclipse International, mentions in his letter to customers that while a mattress is resting on a frame, it should never be turned on its side. It is important to note that the mattress will remain damp after using this old trick, which may result in mildew growth therefore, following the steps on how to clean a mattress will help you greatily.